NMCAN is happy to share our 2021-2022 Annual Report. As our world continues to navigate the ongoing challenges around COVID-19, NMCAN has been prioritizing reconnection and strong, healthy relationships with young people who are impacted by foster care, juvenile justice, and/or homelessness. This is essential for centering young people’s voices in efforts to improve their transition to adulthood and disrupt the systems that separated them from their families and traditional pathways to success. Over the long term, their leadership will achieve NMCAN’s vision of creating innovative systems of support—a system in which all families are able to access resources without stigma, heal from generational trauma, and lead satisfying lives in safe communities.
Thank you. Your support has helped us get closer to NMCAN’s vision by achieving the following goals in the past year:
- 128 young people are a part of the NMCAN community—engaging in community building activities, leadership development, financial literacy learning and coaching, parenting groups, and advocacy efforts.
- Young people educated state leaders and our community about the need for quality legal representation for children and families impacted by foster care; this resulted in the creation of The Office of Family Representation and Advocacy, which will open in 2023.
- In collaboration with the New Mexico Center for Law and Poverty and Crossroads for Women, we highlighted the issues families face in accessing benefits from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. New Mexico is now working toward proposed solutions to reduce barriers and make the program more accessible to families.
- We launched our juvenile justice video series, which complements our foster care series. Access to factual information about the juvenile justice system is essential for meaningful and productive conversations about rebuilding broken systems and ensuring children get the opportunities they deserve to become successful adults. Watch these videos at: NMCAN.org/resources.
- NMCAN bought a building! Our new home will ensure that young people will always have a safe space among a welcoming community that believes in their power to lead full lives and become drivers of positive change! Stay tuned for an invitation to our housewarming party in early 2023.
Please read the 2021-2022 Annual Report to learn more about our activities over the past year and know that our success is possible because of you. Thank you so much for partnering with NMCAN and for your belief in the power of young people.